Thursday, July 9, 2009

This force of nature!


http://todayszaman.com/tz-web/detaylar.do?load=detay&link=180324&bolum=132

Nature is a force to be reckoned with. It can be terribly horrifying and life threatening, but also beautiful and peaceful.

I felt as if I were transported back to my years of growing up on Langkawi Island in Malaysia, full of nature and beauty, of peace and tranquility. Gigantic trees tower over the ground while wilted brown-colored leaves cover mother earth. “Come, step on me,” I could sense them beckoning me. “Come wander to places I roam free,” they invited me. The sound of a gushing waterfall running freely toward the lake and the croaking of frogs accompanied birdsongs as fish swam freely in the lakes. Green all over, with very minimal signs of modernization and almost no noise coming from vehicles to pollute the beauty of the surroundings that mother nature provided us, untouched by human hands: heaven on earth.

I didn't expect to see what I saw that day. There we were, on the way back home to İstanbul after spending five days at the Asya Thermal Hotel in Kızılcahamam. The hotel was surrounded by mountains, producing an indescribable air of freshness. The view of nature during our 16 kilometer drive to the top of Soğuksu Milli Parkı (Soğuksu National Park) left my husband in awe of the view nature provided us, something very rare for İstanbulites.

It was with that wonder in his heart, as we rode to İstanbul, that my beloved suddenly suggested we go to Yedigöller Milli Parkı (Seven Lakes National Park) in northern Bolu. It was an unplanned visit, so we ended up having to stop many times to ask for directions to the park.

I would be lying if I said the 42-kilometer-long road up and down the hills did not scare me. Every time my husband tried to open the car window for some fresh air, our children, born and raised in İstanbul, continuously shrieked: “Baba, please close the window and turn on the A/C! The bees or other insects might come into the car!” Life was totally evident in the surroundings. Anything could have decided to say “hi” to us, be they the bees, the deer, the squirrels, the foxes, the jackals or even the cows! For kids who are not used to insects and life in nature, they felt scared. I, on the other hand, was more afraid of the not-so-smooth road, of the holes on the way, of the at times narrow road, of the possibilities of stones falling down onto the car. I have to agree with my beloved when he said: “I suppose they keep the road this terrible so that many people won't come. Only that way will nature not be destroyed.” What a pity, isn't it? Humans, whether deliberately or otherwise, tend to destroy beautiful things.

It took us one hour and 20 minutes to reach Seven Lakes. But despite my fear of the bumpy road, I could not fail to notice the stunning forest landscapes. Just imagine, the 550-hectare Yedigöller National Park is located on two plateaus. Basking in the beauty of majestic trees such as beech trees, oaks, hornbeams, alders and black pines along the way, I was stunned by how I had wasted almost 10 years without a sight like this. True, I was used to such things as I was growing up, but to find this gorgeous beauty here, not so far away from İstanbul? I was awed! Even my husband kept telling himself, “Maşallah, subhanallah,” when he looked at the landscape, not really believing this gift from God standing in front of his eyes. He encouraged the children and me to take as many deep breaths as possible, saying the air is fresh. This was nature at its best!

The name “Seven Lakes” comes from the seven lakes that form the park; namely, Büyükgöl, Deringöl, Seringöl, Nazlıgöl, Sazlıgöl, İncegöl and Küçükgöl. They are not located very far from one another and can be reached on foot or by car. I do not imagine that this place is accessible in the winter due to the rough road, but I assume the green summer will be followed by a fall providing a landscape of reds, yellows and all those glorious fall colors that come with the season. I simply find this place extremely charming!

We reached the lakes area at around 4:30 p.m. My scared-of-insects kids, upon seeing the place, started to open up to their nature-loving side. My son ran and led the way toward the small streams of waterfalls, soaking his feet in the freezing cold water with a huge grin on his face. He practically ran up along the preset trekking route while my beloved, my daughter and I followed as we kept reminding him to stop when he was out of sight, all fears evidently gone. Nature simply brought out the best in us. It also didn't matter that we only had Pringles, tea and cold water (we came unprepared, remember?) to munch on as we sat on the wooden table by the lake to watch the fish swim. We were far to engulfed by the beauty of this force of nature. We were enthralled by it.

It was also possible to stay a night or two in the area. There is a place reserved for camping where special stone stoves are provided by the authority for campers to cook. A clean toilet is also provided while there are water pipes taking water from the free-flowing stream feeding the waterfall to accommodate thirsty throats. I later discover that there are also small bungalows belonging to the Ministry of Environment and Forestry for those who wish to linger around for a longer period. Even though there is a trout production farm at Deringöl and one can buy and cook the fish in the nearby stoves, one has to come fully prepared as this is a place far away from everything. Civilization is not near, despite the fact that you can find a few village houses along the way. I strongly recommend you go with more than just Pringles and tea.

As we were running out of time, we left Seven Lakes at around 6:20 p.m. without seeing all seven lakes. After being engulfed by such beauty, the journey from the lake area to Bolu no longer seemed scary at all. Deep down, however, I envy those who came with four-wheel drive, but I know one thing for sure: Our hearts remain in Seven Lakes. God-willing, we will be back!



09 July 2009, Thursday
SIMAH ZAİM

Ankara Orman Bölge Müdürlüğü (Ankara Forestry Directorate) Tel.: (312) 213 54 78, (312) 212 63 00

2 comments:

henny said...

Assalamualaikum, Simah. I just read your article in TZ's website just now, searched your name through uncle Google and voila, here I am :).
I do enjoy reading first article of you that I want to dig your blog inshaa Allah tomorrow as now it's nearly 3 am in my place.
It's very nice to meet you.

sue said...

Well done Simah...another great piece